Sunday, December 21, 2008

Enlarged Postrate Treatment & Prostate Surgery Using Green Laser Light

If you are a male touching 60, here is something to watch out for. It is estimated that 85 per cent of all persons over the age of 60 years have enlargement of the prostate, a part of the normal process of ageing.

The prostate is a walnut-sized gland that lies at the base of the bladder, where urine is stored, surrounding the urethra, the tube that passes urine from the bladder out of the body. It is a part of the male reproductive system and has a tendency to enlarge with the passage of years. When it does enlarge, the condition is called ‘Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia,’ (BPH)

BPH is very common and often exists with few or no symptoms. However as the prostate surrounds the urethra, enlargement can squeeze the urethra making it difficult to pass urine. The other symptoms include: Weak flow of urine, need to strain to pass urine, not being able to empty the bladder completely, so needing to use the toilet more often both day and night.

My prostate enlargement was detected on Dec 4, 2007 when I went for a complete medical checkup at Health Scan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur. The results showed that my prostate gland was enlarged, measruring 6.18 x 5.07 x 5.22 cm. The Primary Care Physician suggested to me to see a Urologist for prostatism. My doctor in Segamat prescribed me Hythrin 2mg to be taken before retiring in bed. However, I got to wake up 3 - 4 times during the night to urine.

Then I was advised to take Saw Palmotte & pumpkin seeds regularly to stop the enlargement.

Accordingly, pumpkin seeds contain a lot of phytosterols. Phytosterols is an ideal natural prostate treatment because it happens to be a compound which has properties that actually help shrink the prostate and is good for general prostate health.

Patients with BPH may need removal of the enlarged part of the prostate by surgical methods. It is normally the best long-term solution for some patients with BPH. This surgery only removes the portion of the prostate gland that is pressing against the urethra tube. The rest of the gland is left intact as well as the outside capsule.

My delay to see the Urologist was partly due to work commitment in Indonesia. Nevertheless, the Prostatic Specific Antigen (PSA) blood test was done to monitor my prostate's condition. The total PSA was 0.9 NG/ML within 0.0 - 4.0 range. My doctor told me that I was safe, there was no prostate cancer. This is the one I was really worried about.

It seems that adequate, even abundant, nutrients strengthen the body's immune system and prevent cancer. As mentioned by reaseach papers, optimum prostate health requires vitamin C and zinc in particular. Recently, a prostate cancer patient in Johor Baru testified that he had taken the whole fruit mangosteen juice for a period of 6 months and the usual check up every 3 months showed great improvement. He felt that the mangosteen juice helped him fight and win over cancer. He said,"My prostate & urinary tract is healthier and better than ever before!" (For information on mangosteen juice, click & visit http://www.myxango.com.my/jamesloh/)

When I finally retired and returned to Segamat, Johor, Malaysia at month-end of November 2008, I made an appointment to consult the Urologist in Gleneagles Intan Medical Centre, Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur on 11 December. The Urologist told me after examination that my prostate enlargement was 3 times the original size and he told me that the choice was mine. I can opt for medication but I will still have to bear the urination problems that I am facing, such as incomplete urination, frequent urination during daytime when working in air-cond room or travelling in an air-cond car while outside temperature is cold especially on raining days.

So I had decided to go ahead for the prostate surgery using green laser light, so called Photoselective Vaporization of the Prostate (PVP) instead of conventional Transurethral Resection of Prostate (TURP).

Accordingly, PVP technique is particularly suited to those large prostates rich in blood vessels which are prone to brisk bleeding during conventional TURP. With PVP using laser green light, it can remove the obstructing prostate tissue instananoeusly with minimal bleeding and discomfort. The GreenLight PV surgical laser system delivers laser light pulses through a specially designed fiber optic delivery device that is inserted through a standard cystoscope. The light pulses are directed towards the prostate tissue. The laser quickly vaporizes and removes the prostatic obstruction without significant bleeding. The surgery was very low risk.

It was carried on 0n 15 December afternoon and it was over slightly more than half an hour. I was discharged the following day.

I was told that post-operative side effects, if any, would be minimal and transient. I feel quite a relief after the surgery as I only wake up 1 - 2 times during the night for urination.

Patients usually feel well within several days of the surgery, but full recovery can take several weeks. Some blood in the urine is common during the recovery process. This is harmless, and rarely requires treatment.

An appointment has been fixed on 23 December for the follow up check by the Urologist. I am hoping for a speedy recovery.









15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks to God, u have succesfully undergone surgery. May u have good health & happiness.
Always drink lots of water and eat more fruits & vege and less meat. Of course not forgetting exercise. Walking or execise at home is good. MGBU my friend.

Anonymous said...

Pak Loh,
Tks for sharing your experience.
Thomas Tan

Anonymous said...

hi Pak Loh
thanks for the info, appreciate.
praise the Lord you are OK, enjoy your life and make full use of it
take very good care and GBU

Anonymous said...

Dear Bro.Loh,
Wish u speedy recovery.
Thanks for the info.
Regards.
KC

Anonymous said...

Bro. Max.,
May i wish you "EARLY RECOVERY, GOOD HEALTH AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU"
Best regards,
ONG TAY HUAT

Anonymous said...

HI MAX,

THKS FOR SENDING ME THAT INFORMATION, REALLY....HELPFUL

XANGO CAN HELP YOU....DRINK LOTS BETWEEN THESE DATES, AND, MAYBE YOUR NEXT CHECK UP, THERE IS SOME DIFFERENCE??

YES, I WILL DEFINITELY SEND TO ALL MY FRIENDS ABT THIS INFO...WITH YOUR CONSENT, OF COURSE..

CALL ME WHEN U R IN KL..

RGDS,
BEL

Anonymous said...

Dear Brother Kong Peng,

May 2009 be a healthy and blessed New Year to you.

Kong Fatt

Anonymous said...

Master Loh,
May you have a speedy recovery and take care.
Regards,
Peng Hoo

Anonymous said...

Brother, hope you are fully recovered by now.

Anonymous said...

Good and informative news. Keep posting please brother. I have such experieince too but since I have undergone sigmoid surgery I need to rest and recover from this operation before I can go for the prostate follow up.

Anonymous said...

Hi Max,
How about sharing with us the results of your follow up after your surgery and how you actually feel. Do you have easy urine flow and bladder control as well. How about your sex drive? I hope that's not too sensitive to share.
MGBU
Jim

Maxloh said...

I was back in Dr. CS Loh's clinic at Gleneagles Intan Medical Center on 23 February. After examination, I was happy to hear that he found no retention of urine in my bladder. In other words, after the laser prostate surgery done on 15 December 2008, my urine flow has been very much improved and able to empty the bladder completely.

The test results also showed that there was no bacteris found in the urethra. There was no more mild burning at tip of pennis which I'd experienced for some weeks after the surgery.

However, there was no ejaculate fluid coming out after ejaculation. I was told that the sperms went into the bladder instead of through the penis, known as 'Retrograde Ejaculation'. It would be dischared out with the urine. Well, at my age at 62, I have to accept the side effect of 'Retrograde Ejulaction' as long as it would not affect my sex drive and reduce my pleasure.

Important is I feel happy and am satisfied with the results of this greenlight laser surgery.

If you have prostate enlargement, I suggest you go to see an Urologist first. Then it's your personal decision whether you still want to have laser prostate surgery after listening to what the Urologist has to say on your case after his examination and checking on your condition. The surgery cost is high (in my case >RM 15,000.00). I hope you are medically insured.

Mike C. said...

My name is Mike C. i live in miami/florida USA I did the green laser precude and I recommended to all men that have BPH.

Greeting at all

Mike C.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

adam smith said...

Hello friends,

Phytosterols is an ideal natural prostate treatment because it happens to be a compound which has properties that actually help shrink the prostate and is good for general prostate health. Keep it up!
Natural Prostate Treatment